For those of you who are tapped into the Universe, God, yourselves, or a higher-power, you may be feeling the effects of the world going bonkers. The reason? In case you haven’t heard, Mercury is retrograde. Also, side note: Mercury is not IN retrograde. It simply just is… Here’s the breakdown via The AstroTwins: “Three or four times a year, Mercury passes the earth in its orbit. As it rounds the bend, Mercury slows down and appears to stop (station) and spin backward (retrograde). Of course, it really ISN’T moving backward, but much like two trains or cars passing each other, this creates the optical illusion that one is going backward. In astrology, Mercury rules communication, travel, and technology—so all of these areas go haywire for about three weeks.”
Another fun fact about Mercury retrograde is, it can crash electronic equipment (yay!). It is absolutely vital to back up all your data, even your iCal events. I remember during the last retrograde, I was on a trip and took tons of photos. After the transfer from camera-to-computer, I lost everything. The lesson? Back up, people! Oh, and don’t be surprised when your hear from your ex. Mercury tends to drudge up people from the past, too. You can also leave dealing with contracts, off the table. The options are to wait to sign any docs until Mercury goes direct, or have someone do a once-over before you agree to the terms. This may sound like a lot to take in, and leave you feeling like you can’t make a move, but I promise it isn’t so bad. Below is a list of Mercury retrograde don’ts.
- Buy new vehicles, electronic equipment or gadgets (unless they come with a good return/repair policy).
- Sign contracts without a thorough review (delay until Mercury turns direct if you can).
- Fly off the handle or jump to conclusions if someone misunderstands you.
- Run into the arms/bed of an ex without careful screening (Mercury reunions aren’t always meant to last).
- Shoot the messenger if someone from your past comes around.
- Put anything sketchy into an email or text (you could hit “Reply All” or send to the wrong person!).
- Leave late for flights or appointments.
- Start anything new on top before finishing what’s ahead on the to-do list.
- Lead people on, give mixed messages, or believe everything you hear (actions speak louder than words).
- Spread rumors, rant on social media or share unconfirmed information.
- Turn in sloppy or unchecked work, cut corners, dash off hasty communications. Inspect to protect!
The take-away from all of this is: tread lightly and be clear about your intentions. This is a time review life’s details, and let go and of the clutter. I hope you enjoyed this post, and if you have anything you’d like to add, feel free to leave it in the comments below.